Ready for a fun fall project? This luminary will brighten up your autumn home!
- Round Glass Vase (mine came from Dollar Tree)
- Orange and Yellow Acrylic Paint (I used Americana brand)
- Permanent Vinyl Decal (use an electronic cutting machine or purchase a decal)
- Transfer Tape
- Burlap & Organza Ribbon
- Misc--Rubbing Alcohol, Paper Towels, Hot Glue Gun, Disposable Containers, Foam Paint Brush, Old Credit or Gift Card, Raffia, Scissors, Votive Candle.
1. Wipe the outside of the vase with rubbing alcohol using a paper towel. Make sure that you do not touch the outer surface of the glass (where you will be placing the decal). To hold the luminary, put your hand inside.
2. Place the piece of transfer tape over your decal. Rub the plastic card firmly over the top (tape). Pull away the paper backing from the decal and press the decal on the luminary where you wish.
(These are permanent decals and once they are down, they are down. It may be easier to do the design in pieces). Use the plastic card to gently rub over the vinyl to remove any bubbles and firmly secure the decal to the glass.
3. Hot glue the burlap to the glass. Usually just a small amount at the back where the burlap overlaps is enough. The colored ribbon will be tied over the burlap. You can add a length of raffia to the knot if you wish.
4. Wipe the inside of the vase with the alcohol.
5. In disposable containers, mix the paint with the ModPodge, each color in its own container. Ratio should be about 2:1 of ModPodge to paint. Using light strokes, paint the inside of the vasae. There will be some brush strokes seen but overall, you should have the glass covered. It will be sheer. On my sample, I used orange on the bottom and yellow at the top.
6. Let the luminary dry over night, then add a votive candle and enjoy!