Friday, May 13, 2011

Cutting Machine Reviews

Yesterday I had a great post for you...until Blogger went on the fritz and it all disappeared! 
So I'll try to redo it.
There is a site that shows the ten best electronic cutting machines and ranks them by features, what they can cut, support and pricing.  While some of the information is not up to date, it does compare them all side-by-side so you can get a good idea of what is available if you're looking to buy a cutter or are thinking of changing cutters.  And if you're not sure why or if you need a die cutting machine, there is an article there that may help you decide.  Check it out HERE.

I've mentioned before that I prefer Sure Cuts A Lot software to use SVG files.  SCAL allows me to design on my laptop and cut on my Cricut Expression.  There are virtually no limits to what you can do with this software.  Need a particular element for a scrapbook layout?  Want a certain font for a card?  No need for pricey cartridges, you can make it!  If you have a computer, SCAL, a cutter and an internet connection, you can get or easily make anything you need in a matter of minutes....for free or for a very low price!
And being the cheap....uh...THRIFTY....crafter that I am, I love the fact that I can use up all my scraps with SCAL.  You control where the cuts are made on your mat.  As you can see in the photo above, I was able to use up four pieces of scrap to cut out letters.  I was able to place each letter on the virtual mat and then place paper on the actual mat to cut.  You can't do this with a cartridge!

REMINDER....
Don't forget that the "Carnival of Cards" Blog Hop is this Sunday, May 15th.  Sher has 17 bloggers lined up and each will be posting FREE SHAPED CARDS.  There will be lots of inspiration and giveaways too, so don't miss it!
Would you like a hint about the kind of card I've made for you? 
Okay.....it will suit you to a "tea"!
And Bonnie, one of my CT members, has used the file to create an AMAZING card. 
I can't wait to share it with you!  I'll also be having a little giveaway, so please be sure to check in Sunday. 

1 comment:

StanleyCactus said...

Nah. If somebody wants to have more understanding about die-cut machines and receive useful recommendations - I can recommend this article - https://wowpencils.com/best-die-cut-machines/
Detailed and comprehensive.