Monday, April 23, 2012

Crafting at Sea

If you've ever been on a cruise, you understand why "Days At Sea" can be so much fun.  There are lots of activities to keep cruisers busy in case they don't want to lay out by the pool or hit the buffet!  On the cruise I went on last month, one of the activities was card making.  I had to laugh when the young lady who was in charge of it stated she knew nothing about crafting!  Luckily all the ladies there were rabid crafters (after all, who'd give up the sun and food to craft on vacation?!!) and had no problem diving into making cards.  A large selection of prefolded card bases and lots of precut scraps of paper and ribbon plus flowers and brads were spread out for everyone to choose from.  We collected the pieces we wanted to use and sat down for about 45 minutes to put together our cards.  It was a lot of fun seeing just how different all our cards looked even though we used the same elements.  And I have to say it was challenging to use just scissors and a tape runner to put them all together too.  (Missed my ruler, punches and white pen!) 
Above are the three cards I made on my wonderful vacation.   I was pleased when I unpacked them to find that they made the trip home without a wrinkle or an element missing!  Now to stamp some sentiments on them...

I think that this would be a great "activity" for a shower.  For example, instead of playing Bingo or some other game, put out a good supply of precut scrap elements and let the ladies make a card or two.  Even those who claim "they aren't crafty" could easily put something together if you ad a few samples to show.  And everyone would get a "prize"--some cards to take home.  

3 comments:

Paper Squirrel said...

Very cute...I like the color combos.

bonnie32002 said...

How absolutely fun to have the opportunity to go on a cruise, I envy you!! I am really surprised though that they would put someone in charge of the activity who would tell you they knew nothing about crafting!

Great job on the cards and I'd love to hear more about your trip

Tina Campbell said...

You did a fantastic job on the cards, lots of color. Now that is my kind of cruise! Hey if they would had that 20 years ago on the cruise I went on I may have been into cardmaking alot sooner, lol