Thursday, May 17, 2012

Zentangle & Distress Markers


Have you tried Zentangle?  According to their website, Zentangle is:
 a way of creating beautiful images from repetitive patterns. It is fun and relaxing. Almost anyone can use it to create beautiful images. It increases focus and creativity, provides artistic satisfaction along with an increased sense of personal well being. The Zentangle method is enjoyed all over this world across a wide range of skills, interests and ages.
So basically, I would consider it "elegant doodles"!  Years ago I would fill my note pad with doodles during marathon business meetings.  Who knew I was creating art?!  Actually there are books, kits, CDs, teachers, a blog and more dedicated to this art form.  I had heard of it a few years ago and was intrigued.  Recently I found a book at the library, "Totally Tangled" and was inspired to create the following flower.

I used a regular Sharpie pen and a plain piece of copy paper.  After I drew it I scanned it so I could preserve it and make it any size I wanted.  If you're looking for ideas, do a Google search and you'll see hundreds of awesome Zentangles.  I liked the "Totally Tangled" book because it broke down the different "tangles" or patterns, five of which you see on the petals of the flower.  A Google search of "Zentangle Patterns Step by Step" will give you enough "tangles" to get started if you want to give it a try without the book.  I think I'll do more of these, especially while traveling or sitting out on the deck this summer.
I recently received my set of Tim Holtz's Distress Markers (brand new product!) and wanted to take them on a test drive.  So I took my Zentangle design and using Photoshop, I created an 8 1/2" x 11" with various sizes.  I printed them on cardstock and then sprayed with fixative.
I used every color of marker at least once.  They performed great!  I think I will really love using them on future projects.  They go on smoothly and blend beautifully.  Of course I love the colors, which coordinate with the other Distress products:  stains and inks.
Here's the scanned sheet:
I think I will cut them apart and use them on cards.

3 comments:

Holly M said...

Cindy, I love your "tangles". I think every hippy kid (me included) who grew up in the late 60s/early 70s drew these doodles, and now someone had the nerve to put a copyright in them! I have a question: what cardstock do you like to use in your printer and with the Distress Markers? I find some brands tend to bleed the printer ink and some don't want to take printer ink well at all. Your printed image looks very crisp.

Paper Squirrel said...

I've seen Zentangles before and they never really spoke to me, but yours sure does! I think it's the organic and whimsical subject. It's not so rigid and "geometric" as others I've seen. Very fun project! Oh, and yes of course now I am coveting those Distress Markers...dang it...just when I tell myself "you have enough stuff!".

www.creativepointe.blogspot.com said...

Holly--I use cheap cardstock from Office Max. I have a HP printer. Also if you have an ink jet printer, do you spray a fixative on your paper before you add any water (markers, inks, etc)? That will prevent smearing.