Thursday, April 14, 2016

A "Lemon to Lemonade" Project

We've all been there...cutting a vinyl project that SHOULD have been reversed and wasn't.  Being the cheap thrifty crafter that I am, I save each and every scrap of vinyl, even the mistakes.  I have clear plastic page protectors filled with single words, letters, designs and more just waiting to use SOMEDAY.  
The wooden plaque shown above is one of those "Someday" projects.  I had originally cut the permanent vinyl to go on the back/reverse of a glass cutting board. (By the way, this design is my most pinned and most popular SVG file for sale)  But I had forgotten to reverse it so I didn't even weed it, just put it in the folder for another day.  
Last week I decided to use up some of those bits and pieces and rediscovered this piece.  I found a perfect sized piece of wood in my stash and painted it a lighter blue tone than the blue vinyl.  I applied the vinyl and then shaded and fly specked the wood.  I had an idea to dangle a cork from the center of the plaque so I used Glossy Accents to glue a small eye screw into the top of the cork.  Another eye screw was placed in the center bottom of the plaque and then I used some jute to hang the cork.  To hang the piece, I drilled two holes at the top and added a knotted jute hanger.
Now, this is a one-of-a-kind piece but depending on how popular it is, I just may PURPOSELY cut more of these designs un-reversed!  
SVG files sold at my ETSY SHOP.


No comments: