Monday, April 24, 2017

Triple French Themed Redux

I had three items in my stash that needed to be upcycled.  
I decided to go with a French theme, using some of my favorite techniques.  
First was this oak card box.  I removed the inner divider and covered the bottom with decorative paper.  I changed the inside and outside with a distressed white chalk finish.  On the top, I added this lovely French label transfer. 
The larger box shown above started out as a beat up wooden cigar box.  The hinges were past redemption so I simply glued the box shut and went to work, giving it a distressed white and vintage green chalk finish.  A lovely French transfer finishes it off. 
Finally there is this small mirror that started out as an unfinished piece from Ikea.  I wanted to try out the lovely decor molds I've had for about a year.  These are gorgeous vintage style molds from Prima Marketing.  For my first try, I used Plaster of Paris.  I had some issues with getting the right consistency but I found that even if the molded pieces broke, I could glue them together on the board and once painted, they looked perfectly fine.  In fact the upper right embellishment lost a large chunk but looks awesomely ancient on the piece.  After gluing on the plaster pieces, I gave everything a shabby vintage chalk paint finish.  Then I stamped various images all over.  A coat of wax protects the piece.  I really love these molded embellishments and will be sure to buy more!

No comments: