Saturday, March 17, 2012

TOP 10 SUPPLIES---#1

I'm doing my "Top 10" list a little differently as I am starting with what I consider to be the best/most used item in my studio.  And that would have to be Sure Cuts A Lot (SCAL) software that I use with my Cricut electronic cutter.  I can design virtually anything with this program and have used it in all aspects of my art:  scrapbooks, cards, altered art, Tim Holtz's "Tags", gifts and decor.  I've cut paper, cardstock, acetate, vinyl, grunge paper, grunge board, chipboard and aluminum duct tape.  The SCAL program uses SVG (scalable vector graphic) files which tell the cutter what to cut.  You can position each item on the virtual mat, which saves time and paper. 
SCAL no longer is being sold to work with Cricut, so if you don't already have it, and want it for Cricut, you are out of luck.
#1---SURE CUTS A LOT
But the GOOD news is you can use the latet version, SCAL3, with lots of other electronic cutters.  This version works with Craftwell eCraft™, Black Cat Cougar/Lynx™, BossKut Gazelle™, Pazzles Inspiration™, Silhouette SD and Cameo™, USCutter™, Craft ROBO/Graphtec™ machines including Wishblade™.
It won't be too long and I will be replacing my Cricut Expression.  The machine I'm most interested in is the Sizzix eClips™.  This cutter uses a version called "eCal",  Either version sells for under $55...a real value considering you never have to buy a cartridge and you can get tons of files free or at a very low cost.  In fact, I sell lots of inexpensive SVG files and sets in my store over at CUT & CREATE.  Freebies available over there as well.  If you're interested in learning more about SCAL or eCal, click over to CRAFT EDGE .

No comments: