Monday, June 29, 2015

Frozen in Summer


Have you been having a busy summer so far?  I sure have!  I spent two weeks (one prepping for and one working at) my church's Vacation Bible School.  The theme this year?  "Frozen in Summer".  And it was hugely popular, as over 300 kids aged preschool through fourth grade attended.  I was in charge of decorating the snack area.  I sketched out a straw hat/flip flop wearing Olaf and painted him onto foam board.  I cut him out (leaving a wide area around the arms) with a craft knife.  I cut out the pennant and strung it through holes punched by his hands.  I wasn't sure how to display him and finally settled on putting him on an easel.  A very quick and easy method!
Next I wanted something to decorate the snack tables.  I designed and cut out more Olafs, this time from paper.  I added googly eyes for fun.  I cut two per centerpiece and using spray adhesive, attached them to a dowel in the center.  These were stuck into foam coffee cups held in place in the bucket with packing pillows.  Some white tissue paper and glittery grass finished off the look.  
I designed and cut the vinyl stickers on the buckets using the free Oliver font.
To finish the look, I used lengths of snowflake garland and cut snowflakes from paper.  These were embellished with blue Stickles.  
Here they all are lined up and ready to go on the tables. 
I wanted to create a beach scene so I used paper decorations from the Dollar Tree.  These were made to hang but I simply cut off the string and hot glued them to dowels.  I then added leaves and placed into a flower pot.  The "grass" came from my stash of things I never throw away!  I knew it would come in handy one day...lol 
Here's a look at the whole scene.  The backdrop is also from the Dollar Tree (3 panels).  I created the sun by cutting a large circle from the left over foam board.  I stuck popsicle sticks all around and then painted.  Other ladies from the church created the fill in paper flowers.  The lighted palm tree and grass umbrella were lent to me by my neighbor.  The little wreath hanging off of the tree came from someone.  Not sure who...it just showed up in my scene the day of VBS!
I know that the kids loved it and I saw lots of pictures on Facebook of groups and individuals posing in it.  So glad that it was a hit!





No comments: