Monday, March 7, 2016

Making Your Own Chalk Paint

I do love chalk paint.  No need to sand or prime.  You can use it on just about anything.  It sticks to everything, covers nicely, holds up well.  Lots of positives but there are some negatives.  Chalk paint comes in limited colors and it's pricey...especially if you are doing a large piece of furniture. 
I've pinned many recipes to make my own chalk paint.  Each a bit different. I was hesitant to mix up a batch of something that may not work.  Late last year I went into my local ACE hardware store when they were offering their pint samples for just 99 cents.  I figured I'd give a few of the recipes a try to see which one I liked best. 
After speaking with the paint "expert" on staff and telling her what I wanted to do, she gave me the store's chalk paint recipe (shared below).  I figured that as she was the pro, I could trust the results.  So I bought some Plaster of Paris, a set of measuring cups from the dollar store and whipped up a batch of black.  I used that first batch on several items, one of which is this chair.
I have to say that I was very pleased with the results.  The paint performed well and you can see how it looks here. The most important thing I learned:
Mix, Mix, Mix
You'll want to make sure to stir this recipe up really well.  It takes some effort to blend the P of P into the paint properly.  If not blended well, you'll find patches of white "haze" on top of your painted item once it dries.  I used my little Badger blender to remix before each painting session.

1/3 cup of Plaster of Paris
3 tablespoons of cool water
Mix together until smooth
Add 1 cup of latex paint
Now the details on this upcycled chair. 
I took several designs from Shara Reiner and changed them up to fit the chair.   I used my regular acrylic paints (DecoArt Americana & Delta Ceramcoat) over the chalk paint mix.  Once finished, I varnished with several coats of poly acrylic.
This piece will be offered for sale this spring at the Davisburg Antiques & Vintage Market.

No comments: