Friday, July 15, 2011

Having Fun With OWSE

I picked the right day to take off of work as
Outlaw Women Scrapbook Emporium club
(a really fun Yahoo group) kicked off their "Christmas in July" event today. 
Lots of fun things to do and cool challenges (with prizes!) so of course
I jumped right in...who cares about house cleaning?
First up was a picture of yourself in your pjs wearing a funny hat. 
Yup....posted a picture (which I will NOT be sharing here). 
Join the OWSE group and you can take a peek. lol
Next was "Quick Fire Challenge #1". 
Our leader Robyn rattled off a list of 19 items that we had
to include in our project and we only had about a 1/2 hour to do it! 
Here is what I created:
This is the list of what Robyn called (through Chat) 
to be in the project (and where it is on my tag):
1.  Border--stamped down the right side of the red dotted paper
2.  Flourish--stamped at the top of the red dotted paper
3.  Bling--to right of rooster
4.  Dry Embossing-- used my Tim Holtz texture fade, inked it and ran the tag through the Cuttlebug
(this piece was pre-done)
5.  Designer Paper--the red dotted paper
6.  Die cut--the rooster (had been pre cut-on the Cricut)
7.  Wet Embossing--over the border I added clear embossing
8.  Faux Stitching--to the right of the border
9.  Distress--use Vintage Photo Distress Ink all around tag, on lace and ribbons and Fired Brick Distress Ink on the designer paper
10.  Lace--added at bottom
11.  Handmade Flower--a paper swirl flower (which I had previously made) added above lace
12.  Glitter--the rooster's eye is red Stickles
13.  Ribbon--above lace
14.  Button--above lace
15.  Tag--punched and added near top
16.  Butterfly--stamped, cut out and glued near top
17.  Charm--little bee attached near tag with glue dot
18.  Small Frame--stamped, cut out and center punched to make frame to left of rooster
19.  Stamped Image--the wording on the tag
Now this was fun, fast and furious! 
Being a very uptight crafter, it definitely brought me out of
my comfort zone as I DID NOT have time to fuss and fidget over it. 
I grabbed my supplies and put it together...no dilly dallying! 
I think that this would be a great exercise for all of us who need
to just let go and create without worrying about how it will all come together.

Of course after this, my studio was a big mess. 
(I still hadn't put it back together after finishing up my "Haunting..." swap) 
So of course the next fun thing we did was post a
picture for a prize for the "Messiest Work Space". 
I posted two!
I DID NOT set this photo up!  I had every drawer hanging open! 
Can't believe I could even find anything in this pile. 
My sisters will see these photos and be stunned...
my space is never this messy. 
I think just the fact that I'm posting these means that I'm starting to loosen up!!  lol

The other Quick Fire Challenge I participated in was for a "Tent Topper Card".
Robyn posted a LINK for the technique and we had less than an hour to finish.
Here's my card:
I used my Graphic 45 Christmas pack to make this. 
It really is quick and easy and turns out so nice.
I will definitely be making more of these.

OWSE promises more fun later so if I get a chance to participate,
I'll be sure and share.

4 comments:

Paper Squirrel said...

O-M-G! You better believe your sisters are shocked...at least this one is!!!
1) I can't believe you made that tag with all those elements in only a 1/2 hour! Bravo!
2) Really? All the drawers hanging open like that? I think it's staged! I bet your studio doesn't look like that anymore.
3) Did you say "housework can wait"???? Who are you and what did you do with my sister?!

Peggysue said...

Its a good thing I didn't see my hat picture on here! I can't believe I took a goofy pic of myself--I must be loosening up too.
Isn't it amazing the mess that can be made just to make a little tag?!! LOL
At least you have a nice big studio. Although it is more to clean up!
I had fun this morning. Did not think of blogging about it.

Jeanette said...

Oh my Cindy, I can just see you flying around your craft room. I'm impressed with the how quickly you were able to get these projects together. They are both great.
Glad you decided to join our party and not do housecleaning.

Jeanette

Robyn said...

I'm so mean!! ROFL!!