Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Steampunk Christmas Card

I managed to finish another challenge entry
for OWSE's "Christmas in July" event. 
The Challenge was to create "A Steampunk Christmas in July". 
It took me a few days of thought then I sent hubby to the hardware store
for a key ingredient....aluminum duct tape!
The card was really simple and fun to create. 
Here's how I did it:
1.  Took a 8" x 6" piece of cream cardstock and then scored it in half (4" x 6"). 
This size card will fit into a business size envelope.
2.  Base is a 4" x 6" piece of Graphic 45 Steampunk Debutante Collection "Mechanical Mind".
3.  Placed a piece of aluminum duct tape (label said "Multi-Purpose Foil Tape")
into the gear patterned Cuttlebug embossing folder and ran it through my Texture Boutique.
4.  Colored the foil with Meadow and Gold Mixatives Alcohol Inks.
5.  The foil tape is adhesive backed so I just peeled off the paper and stuck it to a piece of chipboard. 
Using heavy (Tim's Tonic) scissors, I hand cut the tree shape.
6.  I then took copper wire and wrapped around the tree, adding a few Tim Holtz washers as ornaments. 
I used glue dots to attach the tree to the paper.
7.  I took a Tim Holtz sprocket and glued it to a small piece of chipboard so that it would be at the same height as the tree.
I also used a glue dot to attach the sprocket to the paper.
8.  Using a scrap piece of the same Graphic 45 paper (the back side), I stamped "Greetings" and embossed with white embossing powder.  After that was dry, I swiped on Vintage Photo Distress Ink to "grunge" up the letters.
9.  I used a label frame to hold the "Greetings" piece of paper and attached it to the paper with a couple of Tim Holtz brads.

Using the foil tape was really fun.  I can see many more uses for that roll!


14 comments:

1CardCreator said...

Love how this came out! ~Diane

Rhea said...

Love this! It is my favorite entry so far. Great job rocking this challenge.

Lucy Edmondson said...

This is terrific! You may just have got me motivated to make Christmas cards if they can be Steampunk styled! Great job with the duct tape,

Lucy x

Unknown said...

Love this! What an awesome idea to use the duct tape! I love the way it came out!

Martha said...

This is amazing. Well done!

Paper Squirrel said...

Genius!! Love it...and now I need to go buy foil tape!

Andrea said...

Great card, the tree is just so steam punk. Got to love that gears embossing folder.
Well done and thanks for sharing

Max said...

Wow, that turned out super, especially with that size of card.

Beverly G said...

Wow, this is just so cleverly cool.

Anonymous said...

fantastic card..

Sharon said...

Just amazing - how creative!!!!

2amscrapper said...

soooo clever!

Geri said...

I like the foil tape! Thanks for linking into artsee bloggers!

Michele said...

very cool card! xo