Monday, June 18, 2012

"Pieces Of My Heart" Collage

 I truly believe that God always sends us just what we need just when we need it.  Last week marked the first anniversary of the loss of my bulldog Louie.  About a week before that sad day, I found an awesome quote that lifted my spirits.  I knew I wanted to create a collage featuring ALL my dogs using that sentiment (which I'll share below).  I didn't plan the piece out, didn't obsess over any placement of elements...just sat down and in one sitting created a very personal piece. 
 First I grabbed an 8" x 11" canvas board.  I painted it with yellow acrylic paint and then using three shades of red paint, added the circle stamping with a piece of recycled bubble wrap.  Once the paint was dry, I took Distress Inks in reds and browns and added ink to edges, corners and where the heart was to be placed.  I added a swash of lighter yellow paint where I wanted to place the sentiment.  The center heart was cut from designer dog-themed paper.  The dog heads were printed in black and white (sealed with fixative) and glued to the heart.  I added paint and ink to the heart and stamped the bones around the edges.  I used collage glue to attach the heart to the canvas.  The metal heart charm is from Tim Holtz and it's attached with Glossy Accents.
Using my new Picket Fence Distress Marker I colored in the bones.  It looked great--not too bright.  I thought that spraying it with fixative would hold the color--it didn't (FYI)--so I left it without the white.  I also thinned the yellow background paint to make a glaze and painted it lightly over the dog photos.  This gave them the same tone as the background.  I used Sharpie pens to add the names and write the sentiment.  At the top I stamped the images using Jet Black Archival Ink.  I used a mat sealer to finish the piece.
Here is the sentiment I found that I loved so much:
"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them, and every dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart.  If I live long enough all the components of my heart with be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are."

29 comments:

Tina Campbell said...

Oh this is just a wonderful tribute. I may have to lift that quote and do something for my dogs. TFS

barborus said...

Thank you as this is so so true

Zoechaos said...

This is very special a tender loving tribute to a precious family member. Thank you for sharing this with us at Craft-Room Challenge XOXO Zoe

Bunnyfreak said...

What a wonderful tribute.

Meggymay said...

A wonderful collage. An awesome way to remember the loyalty and love a dog brings to the family. I think I may borrow that quote as well, it is so heartfelt.
Thank you for sharing this fantastic but personal canvas with us at CCM this time.
Yvonne

Mynn xx said...

What a fabulous tribute! Aren't dogs the best?! Gorgeous coloring and just a wonderful keepsake! :)

sophiesmama said...

What a wonderful tribute to your furbaby! Thank you for joining us for SIWS challenge!
Hugs,
Mary

Barb F said...

Fantastic sentiment!!! Lovely collage!!

Susan Hogan said...

Beautiful. Great collage work. Thanks for joining us at Lets Ink It Up Embellies challenge this month!

Paper Squirrel said...

Great collage...love the bubble wrap painting. It's obviously that it came right from your soul. :-)

Karen Letchworth said...

LOVE the bubble wrap painting, and what a beautiful tribute to your dog. They are such a special part of our lives, and it's never easy when they're gone. Thanks so much for sharing your art, and your heart, with us in this week's challenge at Word Art Wednesday. We are SO blessed to have you with us, and SO hope you will continue to join us each week. It's real blessing to us.
Karen L
Word Art Wednesday

Dan said...

This just works so well, both compositionally and in terms of colour. Red and yellow are a particularly favourite combination of mine, so I'm probably a little biased! :) The Design Team are really pleased that you joined us for the Simon Says Stamp and Show Challenge this week - Thank you!

Scattychick said...

So sorry you lost your friend but what a lovely tribute. Thank you for joining us at Craftymess x

Unknown said...

this is just a great sentiment, so very true, I love my dogs so much, thank you for sharing this amazing piece

hugs
Judie xx

Beccalite said...

Love your colour choices and the effect with the bubble wrap is one I have seen before and love but not gotten round to trying it yet must do it. Sentiment is lovely and true I love our dog too. Thanks for joining in over at Craftymess. Great Big Huge Hugs Becca xx

Arnoldo L. Romero, MLA said...

I love your heartfelt collage composition. I have 3 dogs, and one of them is an 8 year old Boston Terrier, so I can relate to your post. Blessings!

Karen in Texas said...

What a fab quote!! And your canvas is a lovely tribute to the dogs of your heart.

Suzanne B aka brookfies said...

Arrr....what a wonderful canvas making a fabulous tribute. Loving the inky background, you've achieved great depth - thank you for sharing with us at the Craft Room challenge. Suzanne B :)

Sandra Wright. said...

This is lovely,what a beautiful quote.

Sandie@Craftymess Challenge Blog

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Fab design, great tribute for a dog lover, which I am of course. Thanks for taking part in our challenge at LIIU, good luck with the draw. Hugz Suzanne

Debi said...

great personal journaling canvas, love the colours and the layout, thanks for sharing with us at Craft Room Challenge, Debi x

Shirley-Anne said...

Love that bubble wrap coloured background and the awesome tribute in words .thanks for sharing on Craftymess Challenge Blog .

Annette said...

Beautiful collage...
Thanks for joining us at Crafty Cardmakers this week.

Annette xx

fionalawlor said...

Awwwww this is gorgeous! All of the doggies are so adorable :) Thanks so much for joining us at Crafty Cardmakers for our "No Cards, Tags or ATCs" Challenge.
Fiona x

craftymum said...

Wonderful! Thank you for joining us at HSC for our Distress Inks challenge

Sarah x

Check Hot Shot Craft shop for new items
http://www.hotshotcraft.co.uk/catalog/

PinkyLisasInkyCrafts said...

Thank you for joining in the challenge over at crafymess challenge blog http://craftymesschallengeblog.blogspot.co.uk/

What a great project with lots of different techniques as well as vibrant colours. Totally different. Well Done.

Hope to see you joining in future challenges at craftymess.

Lisa xxxx

Paper Sewn Visions said...

Awesome tribute to your dog. Thank you so much for sharing and joining in at LIIU. Hugs, Velma