Friday, November 15, 2013

Part Two: LWD Design Team Showcase: Altered Altoid Tins & Distress Markers on Vellum

I hope you saw yesterday's POST as I gave the directions to make your own altered tin ornaments.  I also gave all the embellishment details on two (top and left) of these ornaments.  Today I'm going to give you the details on the other two.

First up, here's a look at a tin top that I turned into this angel ornament.  

Here are the details:
  • Before I adhered the paper (Tim Holtz Seasonal Stash) to the tin, I used Victorian Gold Vintaj Patina and a paint brush to change the silver edge of the tin to gold.  I then added the paper as detailed in yesterday's post.
  • I created the angel by stamping (Rubber Stampede Angel Chorus Collage) the design on vellum using Jet Black Archival ink.

  • I turned the vellum over and used Distress Markers to color the angel on the back side of the stamping.  I love how the markers look through the vellum!  Then I cut her out, leaving the bottom and right side straight with a small edge of vellum below the design.
  • Next I folded that edge, giving me a spot to attach the vellum to the tin using Glossy Accents.  This will "pop" the angel up from the back of the ornament, giving it some nice dimension.
  • I used foam dots here and there to keep the angel popped up.
  • Punched holes and beaded a wire for hanging.
  • The vintage gold braid was added with a hot glue gun.
  • The banner was diecut and embossed using a Spellbinder's banner die.  The sentiment (Hero Arts "Holiday Sayings") was stamped with Distress Embossing Ink and then embossed with gold embossing powder.  I Used a gold metallic Sharpie marker to accent the banner then swiped a little Walnut Stain Distress Ink around the edges.  I attached it to the tin with hot glue.
Finally, a look at the last "shadow box" ornament.  
  • I used the new Tim Holtz "Merriment" paper stash on the entire ornament.
  • The Santa was a mini ornament (hanger removed).  He was placed on a wood block bead (both glued in with Glossy Accents) and then Snow Writer snow and a piece of greenery were added.
  • The little wreath and the vintage silver braid were both hot glued to the tin.
  • Holes were punched for the beaded hanger and dangle.  I used Silver Patina to change the brass jingle bell to silver.

Well, that's it!  I hope you enjoyed the "how-to's" on these altered tin ornaments!  If you make some of your own, I'd love to see them...so please share!!  You can find most of  the products I used below plus many more for your crafting projects at 25% Off MSRP at Lone Wolf Designs, LLC.  All you have to do is join the LWD Discount Retail Sales Facebook group.  If you haven't joined us yet, you're paying too much for your craft supplies!

Supply List 
(LWD Product Performers SKUs in red):
Altoid tin
Needle nose pliers
Scrap cardstock/pencil/scissors  (to make templates & banner)
Vellum
Ruler
Various embellishments, greenery, braids, wood block bead, jingle bell, etc.
Beads
Wire
Hot glue gun
Foam dots
Paint brush
DecoArt Snow Writer
Twinklets Diamond Dust
Sharpie marker-gold
Gold embossing powder
Silver headpin, jumprings
Ranger - Non-stick Craft Sheet LARGE --SKU #RINSC20677

Tonic - Tim Holtz Non- Stick Micro Serrated Scissors--SKU #TO817

Advantus - Tim Holtz - Ideaology - Paper Stash - Merriment--SKU #AVTH93100

Advantus - Tim Holtz - Ideaology - Seasonal Paper Stash--SKU #AVTH92866

Ranger - Claudine Hellmuth Studio Multi Medium Studio Multi Medium Matte--SKU #CHHSP24927

The BeadSmith - Vintaj Metal Hole Punch--SKU #BSVPLHP15SH

Ranger - Glossy Accents Ranger - Glossy Accents--SKU #DPGAC17042

Ranger - Vintaj Patinas - Open Stock - Victorian Gold--SKU #DPVPI35626

Ranger - Vintaj Patinas - Open Stock - Nouveau Silver--SKU #DPVPI35619

Ranger - Archival Ink Pads - Jet Black--SKU #DPAIP31468

Ranger - Tim Holtz - Distress Markers Set - 49 Markers--SKU #THTDMK39082

Spellbinders - Shapeabilities Ribbon Banners--SKU #SRS4324

Ranger - Distress Embossing Ink and Refill Ranger - Distress Embossing Ink--SKU #THTIM21643

Ranger - Distress Pads by Tim Holtz Ranger - Distress Ink - Walnut Stain--SKU #THTIM19534


Entered Into the Following Challenges:



9 comments:

Cec said...

Fabulous Christmas ornaments with a great vintage feel. What a super way to alter the tins. Thanks for joining us at Frilly and Funkie.
Hugs!
Cec

Unknown said...

Those are the cutest!! Now... I need to go buy me some altoids so that I can try these. Great job!

Unknown said...

Those are the cutest!! Now... I need to go buy me some altoids so that I can try these. Great job!

Paper Squirrel said...

Absolutely beautiful! I bet you have minty fresh breath too. hee-hee :-)

Ros Crawford said...

Gorgeous vellum angel! Thanks so much for playing along at CCCB!

Beccalite said...

These are gorgeous and what a fabulous idea.

Thank you so much for coming over and joining in with our Challenge #2 'Vintage' CraftyHands Challenge Blog.

Great Big Huge Hugs

Becca xx (DT member)

Terry said...

Fabuloso ornaments thanks for sharing with the DT from Frilly and FUnkie hUgs Terry xxx

Mandy Chilvers said...

these are so cute. thanks for playing along with craftyhands

Jenny Marples said...

I do love your attention to detail on these. Thanks for joining us at Frilly and Funkie. Jenny x