Thursday, November 14, 2013

LWD Design Team Showcase: Ranger/Claudine Hellmuth Studio Multi Medium Matte & Tim Holtz Paper Stash--Merriment & Seasonal

Time again for another Lone Wolf Designs Design Team Showcase!  Today I'm sharing these ornaments...made from altered Altoids tins.  These are lots of fun to make and really easy too, when you have a simple template and the right medium!  
Here are the simple steps:
  • First you'll need to separate the top of the tin from the bottom, giving you bases for two ornaments.  (I like to use the bottom half for a "shadow box" style ornament.)  Use a pair of needle nose pliers and gently pull back the little hinges that are on the bottom half of the tin.  Then, use a pair of Tonic scissors to nip off the hinge tab.  If there is any piece of the tab sticking up, just press it down with the pliers.  This doesn't have to be too neat as paper will cover the holes.
  • Next choose your papers.  You'll need to cover all sides of the tin piece. I chose the two Christmas paper stashes from Tim Holtz.  The "block" and "strip" patterns on the pages of these pads work perfectly for this project.
  • I find it easy to make multiples of these ornaments by creating a cardstock template for the insides and outsides of the tin pieces.  Then I simply lay it on the portion of the paper I want to use and cut around the template.  For the sides, I just use a ruler to measure what the depth of each strip should be.  A full 12" length is perfect to go all around the tin.  Cut all the pieces before gluing them to the tin.
Using my finger, I swipe a good coat of Studio Multi Medium around the inside rim of the ornament and then gently press the paper strip all around.  Another swipe of Medium goes on the overlapping edge of the paper. Then I swipe Medium on the back of the background paper and press into the ornament.  The beauty of Studio Multi Medium Matte is that you can be as sloppy as you want...it dries clear and it holds the paper to the tin beautifully!
  • Apply the paper strip to the outside edge.  I like to cut that strip slightly deeper so that I can make little snips and fold the edges over the back side.  That way if my back piece isn't quite perfectly cut, my tin is still covered.  Then apply the back piece by swiping Medium on the back side of your paper and pressing it to the tin.  The Medium also dries very quick so you can keep on going!
  • Now it's time to decorate your ornament.  A little planning here.  Experiment with little figurines, greenery, tinsel, beads, etc to see what looks best before attaching them. Decide how you want to have your ornament hang and whether or not you want to add a "dangle" to the bottom.  I use my Vintaj Hole Punch Pliers to add the holes in the tin for hanging.
So lets take a closer look at two of the ornaments and I'll detail the embellishments.
  • I used the Seasonal Stash Paper on the inside and the Merriment paper on the outside.  
  • The little snowman was a mini ornament (removed the hanger) and he is attached to the tin with Glossy Accents.  
  • The "snow" around him was created using a DecoArt Snow Writer.  I have lots of "snow" mediums but I like the Snow Writer for this project because I can easily put the snow right where I want it.  While this was still wet, I added a few pinches of chunky glitter. 

  • The "snowflakes" on the background are plastic beads accented with gems.  These were attached with hot glue.
  • I also added some Picket Fence Distress Stickles accents here and there.
  • A vintage silver pipe cleaner was added along the edge with hot glue.
  • Beaded wire hanger and beaded dangle accented with an acrylic snowflake.

  • This ornament was created from the top of  the tin.  I used the Tim Holtz Merriment Paper Stash.
  • I punched holes at the top and used baker's twine as the hanger.  
  • I punched holes in the sides and wired the Word Band to the tin.
  • Vintage silver trim added around the edge with a hot glue gun.
  • The greenery, berries, pine cones and vintage trim bow were added with hot glue.
Stop back tomorrow and I'll have more to share on making these ornaments!

I hoped you enjoyed this Multi Medium and Paper Showcase!  You can find most of  the products I used below plus many more for your crafting projects at 25% Off MSRP at Lone Wolf Designs, LLC.  All you have to do is join the LWD Discount Retail Sales Facebook group.  If you haven't joined us yet, you're paying too much for your craft supplies!

Supply List 
(LWD Product Performers SKUs in red):
Altoid tin
Needle nose pliers
Scrap cardstock/pencil/scissors  (to make templates)
Ruler
Various embellishments, greenery, braids, etc.
Beads
Wire
Silver headpin, jump rings
Hot glue gun
DecoArt Snow Writer
Twinklets Diamond Dust
Ranger - Non-stick Craft Sheet LARGE --SKU #RINSC20677

Tonic - Tim Holtz Non- Stick Micro Serrated Scissors--SKU #TO817

Advantus - Tim Holtz - Ideaology - Paper Stash - Merriment--SKU #AVTH93100

Advantus - Tim Holtz - Ideaology - Seasonal Paper Stash--SKU #AVTH92866

Ranger - Claudine Hellmuth Studio Multi Medium Studio Multi Medium Matte--SKU #CHHSP24927

The BeadSmith - Vintaj Metal Hole Punch--SKU #BSVPLHP15SH

Ranger - Glossy Accents Ranger - Glossy Accents--SKU #DPGAC17042

Ranger - Designer Series Stickles Glitter Glue Ranger - Distress Stickles Picket Fence--SKU #THTDS26488

American Crafts - Bakers Twine Value Pack - 24 Spools--SKU #AC89423

Advantus - Tim Holtz - Ideaology - Word Bands - Christmas--SKU #AVTH93085


Entered Into The Following Challenges:

12 comments:

scrapn said...

You are a true artist Cindy & the ideas you come up with are really amazing. I love seeing what you come up with!
Kathy

Ruth G said...

So wonderful! I love the depth that the tin gives! Perfect size for an ornament! I've used multi-medium and agree that it's a wonder product! Thanks so much for sharing this fun way to use those empty tins!

Daniele said...

what wonderful ornaments, so glad you joined us at SCH
hugs

Ros Crawford said...

These are so lovely ... What a great transformation ... Thanks so much for playing along at CCCB!

Sherry Hickey said...

These are delightful! Love the vintage look of these ornaments. Thanks for sharing your project at Sugar Creek Hollow!

Sid said...

Those tins are so versatile and I love what you have done with them !!

DeAnna Goen said...

Such a great little project. I think I'm going to have to try my hand at those.

Lone Wolf Designs said...

Cindy, thank you for sharing your crafty ideas with us and for being a part of the LWD team! Love the ornaments...great tips, too!

Lisa said...

Wow, this is so creative and these tree decorations are gorgeous!! Thanks for joining our Snow & Ice challenge at Papertake Weekly :)

Anonymous said...

Fantastic decorations Cindy ! Love how the tins have been transformed. Thanks for joining us at Frilly and Funkie. Sue C x

AppleApricot Wen said...

Gorgeous altered tins! Love the vintage Christmas feel to them. Thank you for joining us at CCCB! Hugs, Wendy

Jenny Marples said...

These are a stroke of genius! Love them so much. Thanks for joining us at Frilly and Funkie. Jenny x