Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Upcycled Bloom

Today I'm showing you a piece recently completed on an upcycled cabinet door.  This was a white laminate door, unable to be sanded to give some "tooth" to the surface for ease of painting.  So I used my home made chalk paint (details at this POST) which covered the laminate quite well.   
I painted on geraniums and using one of my thousands of fonts, created the "bloom" graphic which I hand painted onto the center.  I sanded here and there to give the piece a worn look, which brought up the white of the laminate.  I really liked this look with the black.  I did put 6 coats of varnish on this piece as I wanted to make sure that the paint would not chip off of the laminate.  It's also a very heavy piece due to being a cabinet door.  While it looks great sitting on a mantle, I added large saw tooth hangers to the back (over the cut out circles where the hinges went) in case the eventual owner prefers to hang it.

No comments: